dreamofitaly

This is the blog for Dream of Italy™, The Insider's Guide to Undiscovered Italy, a paid subscription travel newsletter. Dream of Italy™ (www.dreamofitaly.com) has been recommended by USA TODAY, National Geographic Traveler, U.S. News & World Report and American Way. Editor Kathy McCabe has helped thousands of travelers get the most out of their visits to Italy.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The 411 on Pope Benedict XVI

Here are a few facts on the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger and his election as Pope:
  • Oldest cardinal to be named pope since Clement XII, who was also 78 when he became pope in 1730
  • First German pope since Victor II (1055-1057)
  • Had been considering retirement a few years ago, but stayed on out of allegiance to Pope John Paul II
  • First public words as Pope: "Dear brothers and sisters, after the great Pope John Paul II, the cardinals have elected me — a simple, humble worker in the vineyard of the Lord. The fact that the Lord can work and act even with insufficient means consoles me, and above all I entrust myself to your prayers."
  • Speaks German, Italian and English
  • I've mentioned how much I like John Allen's cover (I believe he now has a book contract to write about Ratzinger); see this page for his continuing coverage

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home